Thursday 6 March 2014

Two Practical Aprons and One 'Racy' One



Another Christmas present post I’m afraid – I got a lot of sewing done for people prior to Christmas. I have two wonderful friends whom I craft with regularly on a Monday evening and I decided to make each of them a sewing apron influenced by this tutorial
from the lovely ladies at simple simon and co  – seriously, if you want to go and read a GOOD sewing blog (rather than staying here with me) head on over – they are just fab!

I drafted the apron shape myself, which was simple enough as it’s just really a flat piece of fabric – the beauty of these were in the embellishments. I made one with purple accents and one with green  and the real key on these was the embellishments.

Each has a removable pin cushion pinned to the right shoulder (as both friends are left handed) a large pocket divided into sections in the contrast fabric across the bottom – I made sure that one of the sections was big enough to fit in a pair of fabric scissors. Across the top of the pockets I stitched a tape measure, and I then made little pockets for a stich ripper

The ties are made out of bias tape and I added a bow made out of the remainder of the measuring tape to add a little visual detail at the side. I thought it was going to be really tough to sew on the tape, but actually it was pretty easy – the only issue was having to get things right the first time, as it wouldn’t heal. Most of the time I stitched in black down the central line on it anyway, so hopefully the stitches wouldn’t be too visible

My favourite details are probably the bow and the stitch ripper pocket – originally I was just going to make it out of the bias tape, but as I had so much measuring tape left over, and nothing really to do with it, I decided to add it to the pocket – and I think it looks so sweet!

As a bonus you can have a picture of the apron I made for my best friend’s birthday. I made it in the same fabric, but finished it with red gathered lace that I had in my stash – I think this looks really cool, Mr P kept on referring to it as her “Racy” apron – which whilst possibly true – was not the intention.

Please forgive pictures of my underwear on Daphne there (Daphne the Dressmakers Dummy that is…) – I had to add a bra to mimic my humongous bazoongas on her – and then I had a pair of pants sat in my drawer that had no bra to match… so I added them too.

I think you’ve probably had enough of me now…

Katy x

8 comments:

  1. And a very useful apron it is too, thank-you :D (Might be wearing it now...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome! See, I even remembered to adjust it for lefties!!

      Delete
  2. I love the little measuring tape bow, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aoife (also I love your name, it's one of my favourites!) - I actually decided on these as a last minute addition when I realised how much useless tape measure I was left with! I was just playing around with it, and found it made really cute bows - I think if the apron had been for me, I'd have COVERED it in them - but my friends are far more tasteful than I am!

      Delete
  3. Hi Katy, lovely aprons! I love the red lace.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! I thought the red and black was a great combination - I'm obsessed with gathered lace! Lovely to hear I've got a reader in Portugal - I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  4. Wow I love the racy one! I'd feel like a character out of Mad Men!

    Your blog is really pretty too. I've added it to my "following" list.

    Pop over to mine for a nosey too. :-)

    Gayle x
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle - I've not watched mad men, but the number of sewing bloggers who rave about it, I'm beginning to wonder if I should!

      Delete