Thursday 27 March 2014

Wrap Around Skirts

More skirts I’m afraid. These two were presents for my two best friends (Matron of Honour and Chief Bridesmaid at the wedding respectively) who are like SISTERs to me  I made wrap around skirts, as although I could guess their vague sizes, I didn’t want to spoil the surprise by asking for their measurements.

I based them loosely on this wrap around girls skirt, however obviously the sizes are very different as they are adult sized.
I made the panels in roughly the same size (although the black/red) version is a few inches longer as the recipient doesn’t like her knees, and just altered the number of panels to alter the width of the skirt.

I hemmed both top and bottom with bias tape – at the top to create the tie for the wrap around, and at the bottom because I felt it finished it nicely, giving continuity to the look.

I must confess, I’m absolutely in love with this brown and white polka dot bias tape – it’s so cute! Each of the skirts is lined in red lining fabric, and all the seams are overlocked. The black and red version matches the notebook described in this post as they were both gifts to the same person.


The buttonholes were done on my friend’s machine (which she very kindly let me use) as I didn’t have my new lovely Janome at that point, and therefore was stuck struggling with a 4-step buttonhole. They came out pretty neatly, and I have since completely mastered buttonholes on my Janome. I am the master of buttonholes.

Hopefully they were well received – the brown and white one was a trial to give away, I will confess that (it’s not that I like the other one less, well actually, I do, but it was made for a friend with a very different style to me). They were really quick and easy to make and I think with the overlocking and the bias bound edges they’ve ended up looking pretty professional!

Katy x

1 comment:

  1. Your skirts look great. I'm in the process of using the fat quarters to make myself a wrap around skirt. I'm thinking of lining it with more fat quarters so it can be reversible if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete